What are CBD Tinctures?
Tinctures are one of the oldest traditional methods of concentrating plant compounds in medicine, and have historically been used to extract the benefits of a wide variety of plants, including cannabis. The word “tincture” refers to an extraction method using alcohol as a solvent. CBD is suspended under 60-70% distilled alcohol. Tinctures are extracts of hemp in liquid form combined with a mixture of alcohol, glycerin, or cinnamon/peppermint oil. While, much like CBD oil, CBD tinctures are derived from hemp, they are not the same as CBD oil. Tinctures are extracts of hemp (in liquid form) combined with a mixture of alcohol, glycerin, or cinnamon/peppermint oil. Tinctures are usually consumed sublingually.
Due to the presence of alcohol in tinctures, CBD tinctures have a higher bioavailability compared to CBD oil. CBD oil can be ingested using the vape method, while tincture can be easily ingested by mixing in food due to its alcohol base. CBD tinctures can also be prepared by using water-soluble CBD, which allows for even faster absorption rate.
There are several other benefits of using tinctures.
- Consumed orally, CBD oil can leave an unpleasant oily aftertaste. Tinctures, however, come in different flavors, allowing for quick absorption when taken sublingually. Tinctures allow you to dispense a single drop or two, measuring the precise dose.
- Tinctures offer a great way to learn your minimum effective dose (MED), the smallest amount of cannabis you need to consume to effectively manage your condition. Knowing your minimum effective dose lowers your cannabis tolerance, helps select CBD with the correct potency, and can result in more effective treatment.
- Taking tinctures directly under the tongue and holding for 10-15 seconds, cannabinoids are absorbed directly into the bloodstream through the sublingual artery. This administration method is discreet, as it leaves no odor or smoke.
- Unlike many cannabis edibles, tinctures are low calorie—a great solution if you manayour weight. The average tincture contains about 7 calories/ml, whereas most baked goods stand at around 100-200 calories.
- Alcohol serves as a preservative, allowing for a much longer shelf life Tinctures can last for years and must be kept in a cool, dark place, and can be added to a wide variety of foods including juices, smoothies, soups, sauces and more. be sure to keep your tinctures capped tightly to prevent evaporation, and shake well before consuming because separation may occur over time.
It is important to remember that both oil and tincture have no psychoactive impacts. The decision between oil and tincture is an individual’s preference. Regardless of the choice, there are many advantages of taking CBD infused products for maintaining overall well-being.